Monday, May 7, 2007

Day 1 in Uganda

After a long flight, I have finally arrived in Uganda! Interestingly enough, the destroyed plane from the Entebee airplane hijacking during the time of Edi Amin, still sits on a now unused run-way. The countryside is very green and lush because the rainy season has just ended. The people appear to be very friendly. They smile as we ride by, calling me Mzungu (Swahili for white person, meant as a term of endearment..........I hope).
Tomorrow I meet with Anny Ngoga who runs the In-Need Home where we will be setting up the classrooms that we will be using. Then the work begins!
I am anxious to see Namuwongo and, of course, all the children.
If we have power tomorrow and/or if we have Internet access, I will give you my impressions of Namuwongo.

5 comments:

Spatula said...

Thanks for the update dad!
xoxo

judy said...

have you met with Anny, Im dying

susie said...

glad ur safe & sound, keep us posted xo susie

pumkin said...

hi mr .howard i hope you are injoying your vacation to u ganda i am from rawdon elementary and middle school miss linda says hi and happy your safe xox enjoy the rest of your trip good bye

jacypenny said...

Hello,

Glad you had a safe trip. We will give you a few days to accomodate to your "new home", but then, the children and I will have a ton of questions!

Take care,

Jacynthe :o)