Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Day 3 - The visit to Namuwongo

Where to begin!
First I need to whipe the tears from my eyes, because what I have experienced is amazing.....heartbreaking, yet up-lifting. Yesterday we visited Namuwongo and were given the 'tour' . Instantly, I was surrounded by children. They were eager to meet the new mzungua who was walking around with a camera. They all wanted to have their pixtures taken and then, of course, see themselves in the screen. The children were poorly clothed, unclean, some with distended tummies.....yet they were all smiling, laughing, wanting to hold my hand, but not begging. The conditions in which these people live is indescribable. Shacks of 1 room where a family of 8 live, eat and sleep. Nonetheless, even the adults all smile, welcome you sincerely calling Mzungu (white person used as a term of endearmrnt) as you pass by.
Last night as we walked through the streets of Kampala, I saw street children begging. One little group of 3 had a child who was no older than 3, the same age as my grandson, the oldest probably about 8 years old. Imagine how I felt, just thinking of my grandson, unable to imagine him walking these streets looking for food and a safe place to sleep, and then giving these kids a few Ugandan shillings. I am wiping away tears just typing this. These parts are emotionally draining and I have only been here 3 days!

Today I met with Anny, the wonderful Ugandan woman who runs the In-Need Home where our school will be located. We have begun the planning for the welcoming of our students and the setting up of the school. How will we ever select the few children from the hundred who are roaming the Namuwongo shanty-town. We have decided to take, as a priority, the orphan children who are looked after by the kindness of others in the community (who have nothing themselves). Anny says that " For them, to be able to come to school, will be like Christmas".
Drew is here as well and joined in all the meetings! Tomorrow we will visit a street children's shelter in the hopes of partnering for an Arts program .

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you arrived safely. I can't imagine the emotional roller coaster you must be experiencing.
Kudos to you and the whole team.
Risee

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you arrived safely. I can't imagine the emotional roller coaster you must be experiencing.
Kudos to you and the whole team.

Unknown said...

Shalom "Howa"

It sounds as hearbreaking as the kids on the Lake in Siem Reap.

In one way I am very jealous because it is an experience of a lifetime. On the other hand I also have little "pishers". I could see my heart breaking as well.

Keep up the blog.

I'm forwarding the blog address to the rest of the "Buddies"

Take care

Bernie

robby said...

hi mr shapiro its robby from HA (Hilcrest Academy)how r u i hope u have lots of succes in uganda and i know u can do it!!!!!!! well ciao good luck and break a leg