Sunday, May 13, 2007

The Source of the Nile!

Earlier this evening I got back from visiting Jinja, where we found the source of the Nile. Driving to Jinja enabled me to experience a more lush,, more self-sufficient part of Uganda. We stayed at Gately On The Nile, a very nice bed and breakfast, overlooking Lake Victoria. A short, 15 minute walk brought us the the spot where Lake Victoria begins to feed the Nile River. It was truly a spectacular site, especially knowing how filled with history the Nile River has been.
Today we went to Bujigalli Falls, about 1/2 hour from Ginja. I only watched the white water rafters, since I was too chicken to try, especially after seeing raft after raft over-turn. The high-light of today, however was the visit to a real Uganda village in the middle of the jungle. I met a Ugandan gentleman who invited us to see his village. What I saw were the same things I had seen only in text-books. These villagers were quite self-sustaining. The grew, 3 types of bananas, guava, passion fruit, mango, coffee, peppers, corn sweet potato and ...........marijuana (for local consumption only we were assured)! There homes were the round, mud-clay huts with the thatched roofs. We were invited to share the lunch meal with him and his family. The children, giggling and smiling all the time, invited us in to the tiny round hut, brought hand-made chairs for us to sit on, and then served us a meal of boiled, mashed, green bananas (tasted like potato), delicious brown beans and a maize paste (tasted like palenta). Everyone was so proud to have these Muzungu visitors in their hut. I took pictures galore with promises to send pictures...................but how do you send a photo to a hut in the middle of a Ugandan jungle?
Tomorrow, more preparation for the opening of our 'free' school. On the Friday evening, before we left for Jinja, we were informed that Anny, the director of the In-Need Home and our very important partner, was hospitalized as a result of Malaria. We'll continue our preparations with the help of her second-in-command, Lillian. Hopefully, Anny's stay in hospital will be short-lived.
I do hope all the mothers who are reading this are enjoying, or enjoyed (depending on when you are reading this) a happy Mother's Day!
More tomorrow!

1 comment:

Marissa Nemes said...

Hi Uncle Howie!

Your blogs are unbelievable. You brought tears to my eyes just reading about your amazing experience. I only want to be there with you to document everything in photos. One day I will! I look forward to seeing your pictures and i agree wtih David about creating a book to sell and raise money for these children's education etc...
I hope you are safe and enjoying every moment of this mission. See you in a few weeks!
Love,
Marissa