Friday, May 11, 2007

A TREMENDOUS DAY!

Today, I had the ex-street children (the ones that we had visited yesterday) perform for the Namuwongo children. Those 30 boys are actually tremendously talented and put together a circus act that rivals the Cirque de Soleil (but without any costumes). They sang songs for us and played the 2, battered instruments they have bought (trombone & tuba). I cannot believe how positive they were, especially knowing that they had not eaten that day. They made the children in Namuwongo cheer, laugh and applaud.
Everyone cheered and applauded Drew and I just for being there, and showing an interest........and we haven't even done anything yet!.
Drew and the rest of his group will be a tremendous asset to our program in years to come.

I am so anxious to actually begin working with the children. Good news is that the shipment of boxes will be arriving Monday or Tuesday.
Tomorrow I am off for a little R&R. I will be visiting Jinja, the source of the Nile. I will spend the night there!
Thanks for leaving comments and/or emails. Keep on doing so. I love to get them.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a wonderful performance! Enjoy your time at Jinja - you deserve it!

Unknown said...

Hi Daddy,

Your blog is a hit! It has been the talk of Hillcrest for the past few days. When reading it, it is as if I am there with you. Wonderfully amazing. Marcel Proust is quoted as saying, “The real voyage of discovery is not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” You have just provided them.

Keep smiling, be safe and many blessings to all of your new friends and students.
Love,

David

PS. When you come back you should put together all your writings with pictures into a book to help raise money for the future financial support of the project.

jacypenny said...

Hi Mr. Shapiro,

I seem to have a lot of problems getting connected when I want to leave a message, but I finally got through!
Although pictures are nice, the way you describe what you see and how you feel, it's as if we were there with you ... Oups! David just said that! :o)
I know that YOU ARE making a difference, but reading you reminds us of how much work that's need to be done ... and that's just in Namuwongo ...
Keep up your wonderful work and continue to enjoy your new discoveries!
Can't wait to read about the school and the children!
Take care,

Jacy :o)