Friday, May 25, 2007

A SLOW BURN.................







Today has probably been the most frustrating, if not the angriest day I have spent since arriving in Uganda. As I have mentioned in previous BLOGs, we have working endlessly trying to get our shipment of donated school supplies and teaching material from the airport to the In-Need Home in Namuwongo. It has finally happened......but there is a story!



Today, Friday was the day I was supposed to leave for my Safari adventure to Murchison Falls and finally see all those African animals, including HIPPOS! However, my plans were changed Thursday evening the moment I heard that the Ugandan Revenue Authority was prepared to release the shipment. Having everything available for Monday was of paramount importance and took precedence. Thing continued downhill from there when I was informed that we were going to be charged a total of 1.5 million Ugandan shillings ....................... almost $1000.00, Canadian. The majority of the charges stemmed from 'storage' fees assessed because the boxes had to remain at the airport until they were cleared by Ugandan authorities. My rant/tirade was delivered to Awel, my host here at GFIC (he was the messenger of the news).

I was flabbergasted!! The goods remained at the airport not because we didn't want to pick them up, but due to bureaucratic inefficiency and, as far as I am concerned, corruption.

I could not understand how a group coming in to Uganda, wanting to assist the poorest of its poor children by providing an educational program to those who would not otherwise be able to go to school, was being charged such an exorbitant amount of money for goods that were donated by other children and teachers, to be given, free of charge to the children of Namuwongo. This African country, I felt, was pleading for assistance, yet throwing roadblocks in the way of those who were trying to help. Money we needed to give to these officials for 'storage' was being taken away from the children!

I was to be picked up at 8:00 a.m. the next morning by the clearing agent and taken to Entebbe. I was in a fighting mood! At 9:30 a.m. the clearing agent called to say he was in Kampala and forgot to pick me up. I took a Moo Ta Too to Kampala, went to the bank to get sufficient funds, called the clearing agent at 10:15 to say I was ready. "5 minutes" he said. At 11:30 he finally showed up..........I have been told that this is typical Ugandan time.

During the hour-long drive to Entebbe I released my tirade once again on the clearing agent. He seemed sympathetic. I was determined to get the storage charges waved. Once at the airport, there were other lines we had to wait in, and then.........everyone we needed to speak to was at 'lunch' or 'away'. By 3:00 p.m. I was defeated!

I was angry I had missed my Safari! I had no one else to vent my frustration upon!

But then, I remembered the real reason I was in Uganda.............the children! When I look at their faces, see their smiles and eagerness to learn, and remember the little one who kissed my feet and thanked me for being his teacher, I just paid the money, arranged for a truck, and thought of how wonderful Monday morning would be. I hope I can arrange another Safari.

1 comment:

Spatula said...

Such a tragedy. I am glad that you now have supplies. Were you able to get any amount of money knocked off?