Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A Scarry Moment & The 'Foundation' Gets Stronger

I was unable to establish an internet connection yesterday. Therefore, today's Blog will contain 2 days worth of info!
With Anny Ngoga still ill, we met yesterday morning with Lillian and ironed out some of the details still not settled. Appointments with the tent maker (for our shelters) and the carpentener (for the shelving) were made for this a.m. As well. 2 potential teacher candidates were to come in and meet with me on Tuesday. After concluding meetings with all these people I was then going to start welcoming the children, a few at a time. With nothing left to do yesterday, I left Drew with Lillian, and decided to walk through Namuwongo myself. I cannot help but being struck each time with the complete poverty in which these people survive. The word got out quickly that the Mzungu had returned and I was quickly surrounded by children and curious adults.
One young man with a bicycle stopped to introduce himself. He explained that he was a bicycle Boda Boda driver (Kampala is loaded with scooters and bicycles with their drivers soliciting passengers - they are cheaper than taxis or the mootatoos, their mini-van type busses). When he discovered that I was a teacher, he asked if he could come to the school; I responded that he was too old........he then begged if I could take his younger brother, aged 10. Explaining that the decission was not mine, he smiled and thanked me for my time and left me with the hoards of surrounding children. I continued my stroll, taking lots & lots of pictures. Suddenly, from one of the ramshackle huts, an old man burst out, shouting at me: "Where do you come from? Who invited you here?' he demanded! I tried to explain that I came from Canada, I was here at the invitation of the In-Need Home and that I was a teacher; but he was not really listening. "You are taking pictures of us because you think we are less than human....you think we are animals!" Once again I tried to explain that I was there to help the children, and that the pictures would help people in my country understand how they could help the people of Namuwongo. He kept on ranting, and was joined by another man. "You have no right to be here.....we do not like you....you will be killed....you will be killed!" At that point I thought it wise to thank him and politely made my quick good-byes, walking back in the direction from which I had come. This has been the only time I felt uncomfortable and at risk since I have been in Namuwongo. I do feel confident that it was a very isolated incident and not at all indicitive of the welcome anyone can expect in Uganda. I DO FEEL SAFE!
This morning was a disapointment. Only the carpenter showed up. At least he will begin his work tomorrow....I hope! The teachers did not show up, nor did the women who were supposed to bring in some of the children. The tent-maker did not arrive, so I made an appointment to go and see him in old Kampala. I guess I must get used to the slower pace of getting things acomplished in this part of Africa. I have been assured that teachers for interviewing and the first group of students will be there tomorrow!
Working with the children and teachers can only enhance what has already been a truly wonderful experience!

9 comments:

Spatula said...

EEks! Stay safe dad

Spatula said...

Oh ya, maybe only walk through the town with others, and maybe don't take pictures!!!

Unknown said...

Yikes, stay safe!

robby said...

hi mr shapiro its robby from HA (Hilcrest Academy)how r u i hope u have lots of succes in uganda and i know u can do it!!!!!!! well ciao good luck and break a leg

Marissa Nemes said...

yikes uncle howie, not everything is a stroll in the park. Please be careful and my mom ( who is here with me in florida )and I want you 2 go for walks with the people from the program!!! Be careful, we love you, love marissa and susie

jacypenny said...

Hello Mr. Shapiro,

I started reading parts of your Blog to my students today (translating in french of course!) and when I stopped, they all wanted me to go on! So it will now become my "story time" after relaxation! (maybe I'll leave out a few parts like the marijuana one! He ! He!)

Like your daughter said, no more wondering around by yourself please! I need some more reading material! :o)

The students were also thrilled to know that soon, your students were gonna use all the books and pencils they brought for them!

So thanks again for sharing this experience with us and thank you also for your kind words (I received your thank you card for the organization comittee) and for Mother's day!

Take care,

Jacy :o)
P.S.: Remember, english is not my mother tongue so please do not pay attention to the spelling mistakes! I don't write like that in french! :o)
P.S.2: I'm starting a new theme next week: the mail. Maybe you could send my students a postcard (maybe we would have a chance to get it before you come back!). It would be a great surprise for them! If you have the time of course! :o)
I think I write too much!

Hazel Krupp said...

Sightseeing and going for walks can be just as interesting with a BUDDY. Be sure to have one on your next outing. Take care and be safe.

Unknown said...

We did name you the hero but don't be too heroic! Please travel in a group from now on and we wish you luck and safety.

Unknown said...

Hi "Howa"

I am enjoying reading about the Adventures of Howa. We talked about them yesterday at the Retired Teachers Association and will invite you to make a presentation in September.

In the meantime, stay safe and don't be a "knacker"

Bernie