Wednesday, June 9, 2010

TWO MONTHS LATER

It has been two months since we left Kampala. So much has happened in my life I feel as if my head is a whirley bird-like the propellers on a helicopter.
I am now a grandmother of two babies-a boy(Jeremy) and a girl(Sofia) born nine days apart.
Of course they are wonderful and beautiful and thankfully healthy and growing well.
But although joyous, I am not "over the moon" as someone put it.
Don't get me wrong. I adore my grandbabies and all my children ,my husband and my family and friends. But everyday I find tears dripping down my cheeks and they are not tears of joy. They are what I call Namuwongo tears.

My grand babies were born here in Canada. Neither birth was totally simple. I ask myself what would have happened in the shanty town of Namuwongo. Almost 50% of delivering mothers and their babies die in Africa. If they survive, such an enormous proportion of them live in the squaller, sadness and disease. One of the young men working at our hotel told us Namuwongo was a soft slum. " you don't want to see the others" he said.
So I cry softly at the miracle that Jeremy and Sofia were born in one of the best countries in the world to marvelous parents with overflowing love in their hearts and higher educations. Both these babies are already way ahead of most of the others born on their birthdays around the world.
I love you Jeremy and Sofia.
But the tears still flow for the children of Namuwongo.

Ellen Bacal Segal

No comments: