Tuesday, June 29, 2010

first day!

It was a homecoming! With the addition of 2 tables....heaven. There were 2 groups :upper and middle, with little Teddy, a girl in lower. She is tiny. We enjoyed Joyce, the new teacher. When we went to the P1 class for porridge,the teacher wondered if Doreen and I were sisters. All the teachers were thrilled at the photos, as were the children.The kids and Joyce were eager to show off the song Ellen had taught them. It was a great first day. We basically observed. I began teaching Miss Mary Mack,and introduced the clapping that goes along. That was a hit, and will be continued. Tomorrow we will work on maths. It was far less stressful this year. We knew where we were going, the layout etc. (It will be easier for Doreen and Ellen next time!)Some of the kids we knew from last year.But seeing the In Need Home kids from 2006,now growing, and in regular class because of sponsorship... that brings tears to my eyes. The climb up the hill back, after classes, was interminable... More tomorrow J

4 comments:

Doreen said...

Judy,
I guess all us mazungoos look alike to them. I take it as a compliment to be mistaken for your sister.
I wish that I could be there with you and Bob. I ma there in my heart and can still see all the beautiful faces. Remember to give them all hugs and love.
I can hear you all singing Miss Mary Mack. Doreen

ellen said...

Wonderful Wonderful Like This (thumbs Up) Sounds like all is going well! Yeah that hill back is a test. I was determined not to let it win.
Are Charles and Michael still there?
Ellen

Ruby K said...

So happy that you have arrived safely and things are moving along well.. less stress is good!
I can't believe you are there... i miss it and dreamt of uganda last night. Good luck!
Love,
Ruby

howard shapiro said...

I am glad that you arrived safely and enjoyed such a great welcome! Strange about the phone! I have emailed the number you needed. Although I am enjoying this 'gig', I can hardly wait to be there in August!!