Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The First Real Day

Well after flying 24 hours and trying to recover we had our first real day in Africa(somehow things seem to have altered ever so slightly. I got lost my first day. Why? ) But Africa still seems to draw me. The red roadways with the even more red "sidewalks", the houses hiding behind the walls. The slow walkers on the roadways, on all roadways oblivious to those North American rabbits racing or trying to race. Why do I so love this place? But above all those wonderful children and their wonderful teacher Joyce who are waiting for me as I finally find my way now on a relatively flat roadway(where is the Mt. Everest I used to climb) toward the school. Those kids so thrilled with the desire to learn,ready it seems to pounce on all information that comes their way. Now they sit caught up in working out their puzzles,e.g. what letter comes after c. Now they are trying to do Miss Mary Mack. I don't know what to smile more about: watching the the children laughing,smiling or seeing Judy,Joyce trying to remember --sometimes they forget--which hand to hit Tomorrow. I teach the older children how to add. I will be in further touch

3 comments:

roz said...

Your blogs..amazing as usual..The challenges you face I always feel are more than ours. Take some photos of where you stay..your accommodations..etc..I'll keep commenting.

Love

Sis and Brother..STAY SAFE and well..Just got an email newsletter from IAMAT..There are still 350000000 cases of malaria a year and 1000000 children die in Africa alone from the disease.

ellen said...

I love how you write. Does Africa really change? Good luck with math.
ellen

moishe said...

Bob,
I'm looking forward to read about your math teaching experience.

Moishe