Thursday, July 7, 2011

Wowee

Who can explain things? Africans I've talked to feel they can pnly get high by visiting places outside Africa like New York. Tall buildings seem to makw Africans high as if somehow in just fantasizing New York they enter The Empire State Building.... While I just have to walk to our school along the orange sandy roadway with speeding motorcyclists like bullets aimed to kill me,orange fortresses blending into the roadway for me to feel like one of those birds I hear forever chatting near hotel now soaring now singing. And the cows with the large horns we pass snd the bananas growing along the roadside. Thr people forever walking in slow motion( if time exists here it is no time that we know of). And why have all my prostate problems vanished here(I who was infamous at my gym for spending half my time peeing) when I drink more liquid now than I have drunk in Canada(I have not become an alcoholic only a passionate fanta fanatic). It is as if I was destined to live in Africa(People who hear me,acting like Moish condemning our winters which last at least ten months a year can understand my feelings). And those wonderful children I spend my days teaching--they can now add and subtract.... The courage,with so little English at their command to enter the English bastion with guns blasting away. Wowee. Yes and like Hopalong Cassidy--I realize how old my audience is--finally walking away in victory Oh yes, and the mystery of the death of Peter: was it because of an infection or murder by the hand of a teacher and that of the most fiendish kind,i,e, by the hand of an English teacher. Bob

4 comments:

ellen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ellen said...

You cannot explain Africa to those who have not worked there as you have. My friends roll their eyes at me. They too would rather go to NY.
I feel as you do and wish to spend as much time as possible there, even if the Boda Bodas aim for me. Sorta like dodge ball. Carry on. Imagine they can add and subtract. FYI Fanta has a ton of caffeine. Horrified about Peter!!!
ellen

Doreen said...

Your words echo my feelings (Except of course the part about the prostate) I always had the feeling of coming home when I was in Africa.
Fanta fanatic...I suppose we all have our little addictions but tell me if it's orange like the roads you walk on. I can see it now. You're amazing. Stay safe while you keep living your life out loud. Doreen
Doreen

Marian said...

They say that once you understand a place Caribbean/Africa) it is time to leave!