Friday, February 12, 2010

SONGS: THE UNIVERSAL LANGUAGE




Feb. 12, 2010.

We start the day out in the yard. Every Monday and Friday they hold parades at St. Henry's Primary School. This is how an assembly is referred to, a parade.. a much more fitting term as it is a joyous celebration with ongoing movement. A half hour later, we head to the classroom, bathed in sweat.


A multitude of lessons, printing, numbers, stories and then it's time for porridge and break time. The children play with makeshift balls made out of garbage. They play soccer, creative and full of laughter.


I take this opportunity to make the acquaintance of one of my student's father. Michael is a little boy in our class. Bright and full of motivation to learn. He is quite promising with his ready smile and his eager attitude. He lives on the school grounds in a double shack with his father, grandmother,stepmother and brand- new, half sister. His birth mother left after the death of his natural sister. His home is located beside the teachers' bathrooms.


I introduce myself and tell him how special his son is. He does not care.


Back to class, for art lesson. First we draw and then incorporate play dough into the lesson. The children love the play dough and we constantly need to remind some not to eat it. The morning ends with some tunes from Raffi. Picture the children marching around and dancing to "Banaphone" . Children, who have lost parents and siblings to AIDS or the war in Northern Uganda. All is forgotten, as we sing together in harmony.




4 comments:

Judy May said...

You sound on top of the world! Raffi is great. Ill bet you can learn some of THEIR songs! Olivia had taught them a number of chants which they enjoyed. We werent there long enough to learn them. I wait each day for the blog! Thanks to you both. Judy

Judy May said...

Hey, Doreen and Ellen, great photos going with your blog!I wake up each morning looking forward to your wonderful news flashes.

Ruby K said...

Great posts! Keep 'em coming. I can see and smell and feel it when I read your entires... How I miss it..

Ruby

Unknown said...

Thanks for making the time to let us in on your amazing experience. I try to insert myself into the photos to imagine what it must feel, look, and smell like, but I 'm not successful. Looking forward to your in-person accounts next month.
Keep it up!