Thursday, February 18, 2010

ONE STARFISH AT A TIME

Feb.18,2010.
Today Ellen and I, along with Mr. Okoth, the headmaster of St. Henry's Primary school, went down to Namuwongo. Namuwongo is a shanty town on the outskirts of Kampala of approximately 500,000 people who have come from various areas affected by wars,such as Rwanda, Burundi, the Congo, Southern Sudan and Northern Uganda. Our mission was to choose six children to be part of our project. Six children to be chosen out of 150,000. Before we got past the railroad tracks, we were approached by clusters of children. They seemed to know why we've come. One little girl took my hand, a smile on her face.Flies were swarming around and landing everywhere but none of the children seemed to notice. They were focused on being picked to go to school. They had to meet two very important criteria; one was that they have only one parent or none, and the other that they have a guardian who would make sure that they would make it to school daily. We met the parent or guardian of each child and went to see where they lived. Then we all went back to the school for interviews, informal testing and registration. They all wanted to come. I am so touched and impressed that these people who suffer so much put so much importance on education.
At the end of the day, I am filled with sadness that we could not do more. There are so many.. I took no pictures but I will never forget what I have seen today. And in the end I have come to realize that we did not choose the children, they chose us. Or perhaps it is as Mr. Okoth says. "God has chosen them."
Doreen

6 comments:

howard shapiro said...

I still remember vividly my first time walking through the shanty town of Namuwongo. As you have described, it is an experience never to be forgotten......one that has changed me forever! Mixed emotions colide.......joy for those who have been chosen and deep regret for the many who wait for "next time".
Thank-you for taking on such a difficult task!
Howard

Judy May said...

My heart is with you. Judy

RKS said...

How do you do it? How do you not cry all the time? You are definitely all angels.

rochelle said...

i'll never forget your starfish story - i told it to sam and it's the perfect title for this entry. my heart is with you as well,

rochelle

Ruby K said...

Walking through Namuwongo was the most emotionally trying part of my trip to Uganda in 2008. "Difficult" doesn't even describe it. My heart aches reading your blog entries..Keep up the good work! Have you seen any of the sponsored children? Any updates? Please send Peter Okoth my regards and that I've responded to his email-- he didn't seem to get my last message..

Best wishes,
Ruby

Ruthy said...

Hi my special Doreen,
I miss u so much but feel so selfish after reading all the good u (& Ellen) are doing there...how lucky are these children to have met u and sharing parts of u. What wonderful deeds u are performing and what an education for u. G-d bless you and watch over you.
Love you,
Ruthy xo
P,S,,not easy to get this thru to u