Monday, March 1, 2010

JUST ANOTHER MONDAY MORNING











March 1, 2010.
Too much rain causing rivers of orange mud. A dead baby goat in the middle of the road hit by a negligent car or boda boda. The porridge late because of soaked firewood. The children hungry and complaining of empty bellies. Yet,we're still dancing and singing round the room to Raffi's "Banana phone".
"What's a banana phone?" asks Teacha Joyce. I'm not sure what Ellen tells her. I'm glad it' s not me.
We've arranged with Mary, Michael's grandmother , to make us 8o of her special banana pancakes for our parting celebration on Thursday. I am crying already, though I promised Ellen to try and wait until the walk home after school.
The penpal letters are finished , complete with drawings and accompanying photos. Relationships have been ,only to be broken. It's difficult being in the moment when there are only 3 days left to teach, to learn.
The children's faces and the lessons learned will linger ,slowly becoming woven into the fabric of who I am , who I am becoming.

Entry by Doreen on March 1, 2010.

1 comment:

Judy May said...

What a brilliant idea: to have someones mom make the banana pancakes! have you tasted one? Are they good?You sound so wonderful... Im filled with pleasure, reading your e mails and blogs. Was the goat taken away? I hope whoever's goat it was got to eat it!What is your return to Montreal date? Howard and I are "presenting" on may 12. You will be a starred guest speaker. Love J