Wednesday, March 3, 2010

TAKING PICTURES WITH MY HEART

March 3,2010.
One more day until we say goodbye.
I walk around savoring each smell, each sound and each emotion. The morning starts with the chanting of the alphabet and the accompanying games all to encourage learning. The room is filled with joy as we work our way towards break. There is porridge today so the children are recharged and eager to return to work as we move into the numbers section of the day. Christine and Provia , two of our newest students, are given their own math workbooks, courtesy of the photocopier. They are thrilled and breeze through their first page. The pride on their faces is worth all the frustrating bargaining that transpired in order to settle on a fair price.
We all pile out into the "yard" to capture a group photo for our pen pals in Canada. Teacha Joyce gets them into an organized group, her national pride as fervent as that of the Canadian Hockey Team. In order to loosen them of their serious posture, I sing them a verse of Teacha Ellen's "Hockey Pockey". I capture their laughter as it erupts on film.
I see everything with such clarity, as if it is happening in slow motion. I watch the chickens cross the road, hear all the greetings from the children passing by, and feel all the appreciation through the hugs and handshakes given by the staff . Each time someone murmurs ,"I'll miss you," tears spring to my eyes.
I am full;full of love, gratitude and sadness.
I am taking pictures with my heart.
Entry by Doreen Horen

1 comment:

Judy May said...

And , they will, to a person, to a child , miss you.