Wednesday, April 2, 2008

WHAT A WELCOME BACK!











After 7 months, I returned to Namuwongo, receiving a welcome that would rival any 'rock star'. As soon as my taxi arrived at the gate to the entrance of the In-Need Home, it was immediately surrounded by a throng of smiling, laughing, cheering and clapping children. "Teacher Howard!....Teacher Howard!...they chanted as they surrounded my taxi, all wanting to hold my hand or just touch me. I was truly over-whelmed and tremendously 'touched' by their apparent joy that I actually returned. I was seated in the chair of honor in our out-door classroom. I was serenaded by some of the songs that I had taught the group during my last visit.
It was then my pleasure to hand out Valentine treats sent for all the children by Tania Ovens, a volunteer teacher who spent last summer with the children in Namuwongo.





No comments: