Wednesday, April 2, 2008

TERRY McEACHERAN ADDS TO THE BLOG

March 23, 2008

Last week I returned from Uganda after an unforgettable experience. I learned a great deal about an African country I had not visited before and about myself. Upon arrival at Entebbe airport, Howard was there to meet me and take me to Kampala where we were staying, and where the Namuwongo Literacy Project is located. After a tour around the neighbourhood where the children live, I was ready to get to work.

Since my professional background had been in language and literacy, Judy asked me to assess the literacy level of each of the children at the school. For the next few weeks, I did just that working with two children per day. In addition, I decided to take the top group of achievers aside and work with them for about an hour a day. I grew to love these bright and ambitious children. I think that even in a few weeks their comfort level in using English improved. It was indeed a privilege to spend time with these children.

No comments: