Monday, July 14, 2008

Monday July 14

After an eventful weekend, I think we were all really looking forward to getting back to the NLP and seeing the children. Our morning was spent planning our lessons for the day. Judy and myself were working with Teacha Joyce and the younger children this week, while Kavita and Bob are working with Teacha Rona and the older group. One thing is certain ....... I have a new-found respect for kindergarten teachers!! Teaching the little ones is hard work, especially when they have a less-than-perfect grasp of English. I attempted to teach Rogers, Immaculate, and Stella how to do simple addition using wooden counters. What a mess! I couldn't keep their attention for more than 2 minutes. They were enthralled, however, when Judy read them "Sam I am".

We are looking forward to doing it all again tomorrow!

On another note, the weather has been mild and rainy. This morning, it was pouring buckets for over 2 hours so many of the children arrived late. Most do not have rain coats, and some do not have proper shoes or sandals. We discussed purchasing ponchos for everyone while we are here so that the children don't have to arrive soaking wet (as many did today) and so that they don't have to miss any class time.

Love from the Pearl of Africa,
Teacha Ruby

Hello Friends!

Bob and I had a wonderful day with the older children :) Together we wrote a story about an Elephant named Simon. The best part for me was when I asked them if elephants are our friends, Monica quickly put up her hand to explain that we couldn't be friends with them because they eat people!!!! When we were finished writing, they all read the story out loud while Teacha Bob, Teacha Rona and myself beamed with pride.

It was nice to see that the spirits of the children had picked up after the rain, I can't even imagine the conditions their homes were left in after a massive downpour like we had this morning. Especially since the slum is located at the bottom of a big hill, you can only wonder. We're really looking forward to seeing them tomorrow, it's so hard to say goodbye to them at the end of the day...

Take good care,

Teacha Kavita!

4 comments:

roz said...

I must say that I am proud of my sister Judy and Bob for the work that they do. It is a sense of of trying to help the less fortunate that was instilled in us by our parents and trying to leave this place better than we found it.

Howard Shapiro Judy Labow said...

thanks,sis

Danny Knafo said...

Hi Teacha Ruby,
Happy to read your blogs and see you are doing fine.
Keep up the good work and stay away from the cockroaches.....

Love you,
Danny and Sandra

Lori Abramovitch said...

Hi Rubes. Let me fill you in on my new routine: I arrive at work at 8:30 am, I grab a coffee, I turn on my computer, and I open the internet to log onto this site which is tagged as a favorite. I love reading the blogs and as I've mentionned before, I am so amazed and proud by what you are doing and love reading about each and every day. It sounds like you are doing great and are really taking in this whole experience. You must be the best teach-a ever! Enjoy, and I'll be keeping up with you from back home. Love you