Friday, September 24, 2010

I'M Dancing!

After yesterday's tiring, but very fulfilling day, today was joyous and fun-filled! Today was to be my last day with the children and teacher's of the Namuwongo Project. This visit was a whirl-wind, filed with organizational work and some time teaching the children in the classroom. But it passed too quickly! I arranged for a good-bye party with our children and their neighboring, same-aged, primary class. It still amazes me how a little bit of popcorn cookies, the Ugandan version of the WAGON WHEEL cakes, and Mango juice can bring such expectation and joy to the faces of these young children. The classroom was bursting with children, but you "could have heard a pin drop" as these 5-7 year olds sat quietly, patiently waiting for their teachers' permission to begin enjoying these rare treats.
When all was consumed, they all sang and danced in appreciation, cheering for me and hugging whatever part of my body they could grab! To their great delight, I joined in and danced and clapped with them! Hopefully, the video I am trying to attach to this posting will work and you can see all my 'moves'!

I leave the Namuwongo children with my heart full! I have often mentioned that this experience has changed my life. I must thank my co-director Judy Labow and the many volunteers who have shared experiences here in Namuwongo, Uganda. Thank-you to all the individuals and schools who worked so had to raise $'s and provide materials and supplies. Without our supporters we would not be able to continue helping the children of Namuwongo. I look forward to my next visit!!

3 comments:

moishe said...

Hi Howard,

I'm looking forward to your dancing video.

Hope things go well.

Your blog reminds me to make my annual donation. I will consult with Judy on how to make out the cheque.

Moishe.

Carole said...

Howard,
Your blogs over the last few days have me smiling with a lump in my throat.
Where is that video?
Carole

Judy May said...

Yes, Carole,exactly, smiling, with lumps in our throats. Howard,s time is at an end. So much accomplished. Thank you, Howard.