Monday, June 4, 2007

PLEASE....TAKE MY BABY!.......AND I THOUGHT THE CRYING WAS OVER



















































































































This morning I had scheduled some time for our team of teachers to do some home visits. Four of the children were to be our guides since they claimed to know where most of the children lived. Although the sun was now brightly shining, it had rained heavily the night before. The pathways in Namuwongo were still muddy, so this Mzungu had to walk carefully so as not to slip into the fetid little gullies and latrines.
As I walked through what passes for a street, filled with people, the occasional chicken, goats, ducks,.... a hand grabbed my wrist. I turned to see a woman, of indeterminate age, clutching a squirming bundle in her arms. "Mzungu! Do you want a baby? Please take my baby!" My heart stopped and then started with an extra beat. I wasn't quite sure how to respond. My group was already ahead of me, but I just couldn't ignore this woman. "Take my baby!" she again begged. "I cannot", I said, "I am too old" (it was the only excuse I could think of quickly). I had to inquire why she wanted to give me her child. It was not her's, she explained, but the child of her sister's daughter. Her sister was killed by the L.R.A. rebels in their northern village. The baby's mother died in childbirth. "I am too old," she continued, "I will soon die and then what will happen to this child? Please take my baby!" I tried to explain that I could not take the baby, even if I wanted to. Ugandan law requires 2 years of residence, without leaving the country, to adopt a child. I walked away reluctantly, not even knowing if the baby was a boy or girl,...... my eyes once again filling with tears, unable to really fathom what I had just experienced.
I caught up to the rest of my group to continue on to the first home visit. The children were delighted to have us visit their homes. I took pictures of the children with their caregiver, sometimes a mother, grandmother, aunt or uncle. I was invited into their homes. The homes were always 1 room shacks, a curtain for a doorway, earth floors and a variety of furnishings. A mattress, rolled up & hung from the roof was the bed. This was placed on the earth floor in the evening for the family to share while sleeping. The adults were always very welcoming of our group, thanking us profusely for taking their children. In some homes we visited, no adult was present as they were away working. The children looked after themselves in the mornings until it was time for school.
When we arrived at Jofrey's home, he quickly rushed in and put on his school shirt (the same, attractive, blue-stripped shirt he has worn to school every day since school started) which was clean, and very fresh looking.
How do the children continue to laugh and smile? How do they ever manage to grow up? I hope I have been able to bring a little comfort, warmth, affection and knowledge into their lives. I have definitely received it from them!

6 comments:

Spatula said...

Is that the baby in the first photo?

Spatula said...

Dad, your emails are coming back undeliverable because your mailbox is full. delete picutes and emails!! Susie is trying to send you important #'s

Unknown said...

Hi Howard,

It's a good thing you have to live in Namuwongo for two years before you could adopt a baby or I don't know how many you'd be tempted to take home. The pictures and stories you've been sending are wonderful. You really have made a DIFFERENCE in the lives of so many children. I'm sure you will come back with a very different perspective on life. Enjoy the rest of your trip and as always stay safe.

Ellen

jacypenny said...

Hello Mr. Shapiro,

I didn't forget you and the work you're doing ... I read every new entry you make on your blog... I'm just taking back by everything you have to share with us to post a comment ...

This week-end, my little family and I went on a road trip up North and on our way back we "stopped by" PointZĂ©ro sur le Lac in Blainville, to see how it had change since our last visit a few years ago.

Reading your entry today, I wanna cry when I see that picture (among others)with the three children liying on, what seems to be the street. Espacially when I recall the opulence I saw this week-end with the million dollar homes, the Maserati and ET talking about the gold faucets of some celebreties! Some people have to much money and some clearly don't have enough! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr! How frustrated I'm getting! And don't get me started on that $1000 you had to pay to get "YOUR" stuff! Man! We have to start looking for another planet to live on! Don't get me wrong; I appreciate the comfort I have (because I was lucky enough to be born here!) but how can you not be sensible(?) to what other human beens are going through? If I could only win that 35 million dollar jackpot (sigh!) at 6/49 this wednesday! A whole bunch of kids would go to school let me tell you!

Okay, I have to stop or else I'm gonna get myself angrier!

Thank you for making an effort (unlike me who's only raging right now!) in changing those children's lives!

Take care,

Jacynthe

Diana said...

Dear Howard,
I was close to tears myself reading your letter. It is so hard to reconcile life's unfairness - why we have so much and these people have so very little. I am sorry that you are leaving the project soon - you have been a tender witness - sharing such heart-felt words and heartrending photographs. I feel as though you are a friend just from reading your letters. Thank you for opening this window to another world.

in admiration,
Diana

Marissa Nemes said...

Uncle Howie,
Was that the baby in the first photo? Your photos say it all. I wish you could have takent he baby and brought it back to Canada for a better life. How can I donate clothes to people in Africa? I hope you have a great time on your safari!
Love Marissa